Friday 16 December 2016

PUPPIES!!!

(Yes, there are three exclamation marks in the title - that's how excited I am. Deal with it).

Hello and happy Friday Dear Readers. This'll be my last post for a little while - as usual I'm taking some time off from blogging over Christmas. I'm hoping to get a chunk of work done on the WIP, which is actually going really well right now, for a wonder...

*Pauses, waits to be struck my lightning...*

Huh.

Anyway, Christmas and the WIP are one reason I'm taking a little time out of the blog, but the reason I probably won't be back until mid-January (and possibly rather inconstantly after that) is given away in the post title:

PUPPIES!!!

Or rather, puppy, singular.

After losing Finn I felt convinced for a couple of weeks that I could never have another dog again. Then I started to think I would have another dog, but that it would have to be at least a year. But by a few days later I was missing having a dog in the house so acutely that I was making and deleting emo Tweets and FB statuses in the early hours of the morning. Messing around with my new hair didn't help. Writing didn't even help. My house felt empty and, despite my cats, I felt lonely.

And right around then, as sometimes can happen when the universe is feeling benevolent, the right opportunity fell into my lap. A spaniel breeder whom I followed on Facebook had one last litter to a dog whom she praises all the time as a perfect friend and companion (I've got both this breeder's books about spaniels and have read them cover to cover) and it was bigger than expected, leaving two spare puppies. One was snapped up, but the other was rejected at the last moment because the potential adopter decided it was too close to Christmas. And so, in the second week of January, one of these puppies will be coming to live with me!

 

Guess which one? Oh, all right - I'll put you out of your misery! It's the orange and white little pup in the centre of the frame. The one who snoozes through the entire video and only stretches when another puppy lands on them. He's a little boy, and he's a working type cocker spaniel.

More cute stuff! This is him at three weeks (a little bit older than in the video):




And this is him now, at around four weeks - he's the second orange and white puppy out of the kennel, and the one who figures out that he doesn't need to crowd into the second bowl along with all the others:


I'm debating over names at the moment. At first I thought Cazaril, after the protagonist of my favourite book, The Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold. But no one I met got that, and after having to explain it and the pronunciation to everyone (well, except one person - hi Liz!) I imagined myself having to do the same on every excursion and dog walk for the rest of forever and gave up on it. My current shortlist is:
  • Rufus
  • Leo
  • Bryn
  • Rowan
  • Emrys
  • Ruskin
You can vote in the comments if you like, or make other suggestions. I don't promise to pay attention though. Finn was supposed to be called Bramble, but then he turned up and just wasn't - sometimes the dog picks the name for you, so we'll see.

Merry holiday season to you, my lovelies, and a happy New Year. See you on the flipside.

15 comments:

Liz de Jager said...

I am so excited I may pass out on your behalf. I'd vote for Rufus because I have a tiny teddy / dog creature that Mark bought me many many years ago and he looks exactly like this little guy...and his name is Rufus. Rufus has kept me safe here at home and on every single travelling trip I've ever taken, either with Mark or solo. He travels with me, I talk with him and he sleeps with me in the bed when I'm alone, even at home if Mark has to stay over for work functions. Rufus is a good solid friend and he gives good cuddles.

Zoë Marriott said...

Aw! Thank you, Liz - Rufus is definitely the front-runner now :)

Jenna said...

Another vote for Rufus from me!
Aww. I'm so happy for you.

Zoë Marriott said...

Noted, Jenna - and thank you! x

whispering words said...

Yay for puppies :) Nothing like a bundle of fluff to cheer up the winter - and I think you should to have him home before picking a name. His personality will shine through and probably trump whatever you pick - I also know from experience. Our spaniel, previously dubbed "Tia," became "Bracken" upon arrival through our front door lol

Unknown said...

I'm voting Rowan, but I do like Rufus too. He is gorgeous!

Zoë Marriott said...

Thanks, Keren! :)

Lynsey Newton said...

Omg puppy!!!!!!!!! I'm so excited for you!!!! I'd vote for Rufus too but I'd end up calling him Roofie for short and well....you know what that's slang for. I met a gorgeous cocker spaniel once called Frodo. It totally suited him. Take it if you want it, it's going to be a while before pets are on my scene as we need to sort the house out first! I'm expecting tons of photos from you and I'm very happy to live vicariously through you :)

Zoë Marriott said...

Lynsey THAT IS THE ONLY THING THAT MAKES ME HESITATE ABOUT RUFUS. I hesitate over LotR names because there are loads of dogs around here named Gandalf, Legolas and Aragorn. I don't want to seem to be jumping on the bandwagon! But do feel free to live vicariously through me - you won't have to experience the sleepless nights and toilet training, which really does make it the best of the both worlds :)

Sarah said...

Aww he's adorable Zoe! I will leave the name choosing to you as I'm sure something will just fit when you get him home but I had to comment to say how cute he is :-) I can't wait to see more pics when he comes home x

Zoë Marriott said...

Thanks, Sarah :) Chances are that the blog will be All Puppy All The Time for a while, so you'll definitely see more pictures before long! x

Ferret said...

He is beautiful. How about Rupert?

Zoë Marriott said...

Thank you, Ferret (not that I can take the credit). Rupert is a lovely name! x

Phoenixgirl said...

Awww! Congratulations on upcoming new puppyness!

Cazaril is a great name in general, but it's so firmly attached in my mind to a tall, lean man with dark hair that it doesn't really seem to fit a small orange-and-white puppy. Maybe a wolfhound or something... (BTW, I think my vote from your list would be Ruskin, because of Ruskin the red-haired dwarf from Year of the Griffin.)

Zoë Marriott said...

Thanks, Phoenix - I think you're probably right about Cazaril. And do you know, I wondered why I liked the name Ruskin so much, since I'm not much of a fan of John Ruskin - that's why! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...