Friday 3 February 2012

SNOWPOCALYPSE!

Hello, Dear Readers! I hope all of you living in Snowpocalypse areas have stocked up on long life milk and the basic ingredients for bread, because IT HAS BEGUN.

After my experience of last year (being snowed in with no heat or hot water and completely unprepared) frankly I was not...overjoyed to see the first powdery flakes filtering down and settling last night. But when the sun came up this morning and I saw we only had a light dusting I had to admit that it was all rather pretty. So I headed out for my normal early morning constitutional with Finn and took my camera along to share the view with you guys.

Grab a cup of hot chocolate (or coffee or tea - whatever's your beverage of choice on snowy mornings) and come along with me on my Tour of the Snowpocalypse.



I tried to capture the diamond glints of the rising sun on the reeds, but ten snaps later, no dice. Some things are for real eyes only.

"Does my bum look big in this?"

The sun rising - probably my favourite part of the day.

The mating pair of swans on the river. Last year they produced no less than eight signets - the river was a bit full for a while!

Finn doesn't actually have a fuzzy beard. That's snow.



The way home...

Finn looks rather fetching in his new coat, don't you agree? He loves snow - he likes to shove his nose into it, break into a run and plough through it, occasionally whipping his snout up to create a miniature blizzard and snap the flakes out of the air. How could anyone hate snow after seeing that? So OK, I'm back on board the snow train. But only if it stays light and powdery. Any signs of heavy fall and I'll turn into a miserable Snow-Scrooge again, and that's fair warning (do you hear me, snow fairy?).

16 comments:

Alex Mullarky said...

How lovely! No snow here, just very... cold... Although I'm going back to uni tomorrow and it's apparently -3 there, so maybe I will be snowpocalypsed after all.

Essjay said...

So beautiful. Finn is a sweetie, my dog loves snow too until it clumps in her fur and we have to carry her home :(

Zoë Marriott said...

Alex: Friends in Edinburgh tell me the Snowpocalypse has begun there too, so wrap up extra warm for the journey. And take Mars Bars and a thermos of hot, sweet coffee!

Essjay: He is - and he gets that snow clumping in the paws thing too. I have to keep a towel on the kitchen radiator so I can melt it off when we get home. Luckily the snow was too light to cause much of a problem today, but sometimes I consider getting some of those little booties that sled dogs wear...

borko said...

Love your dog! We had temperature records for our country ( -31 ). This mean NO SCHOOL!

Zoë Marriott said...

Borky: Eeep! Still, I suppose what God takes with one hand he gives with the other. Enjoy your day off school :)

Isabel said...

Ooh, I'm jealous! Sooo pretty!

Anonymous said...

Lucky! Here in Georgia it's been 60 degrees or more every day this week. I've been in short sleeves!

Amanda said...

That anonymous comment was from me... I guess I hit the wrong button :)

Jesse Owen (Reading to Life) said...

Lovely pictures Zoe and it kind of makes me want to like snow again (maybe if I don't think of last year I'll get there :) )

Thankfully no snow here yet - but very cold even though the sun's trying to heat everything up!

Zoë Marriott said...

Isabel: Well, so long as it stays fine I'll agree! I don't think anyone would like it much when it's six feet deep and you can't get away from it.

Amanda: Actually, I'm jealous of you - I'm getting a sunlight deficiency over here.

Jesse: Yes, I don't think I'll ever quite be able to get over last year. Panic buyer for life :)

Amy said...

Ahh I'm so jealous! I've been begging for it to snow here all week so I can go and take pictures in the woods!
It looks beautiful where you are, and Finn is adorable :)

Jenni said...

Lovely photos. We've got snow on the tops of the mountains I can see from my house but none on the ground yet.

Zoë Marriott said...

Amy: Don't be too jealous! It's nice right now, but you never know how the weather will turn. Finn is happy to accept your compliments, tho :)

Jenni: Oooh, mountains! Very nice. It's pretty flat around here, sadly. I have to go on holiday if I want the sorts of hills have have snowy caps.

Robin said...

Beautiful pictures!

Bekah said...

Beautiful! Enjoy the gorgeousness!

p.s. I do believe you mean "cygnet" rather than "signet", but you're in the probably 1% of the population who knows in the slightest that there even is a word for a baby swan, so...anyway, your posts make me happy. =)

Zoë Marriott said...

Rebekah: Ah! I can' believe I did that! What an amateur mistake... (Hides head in shame).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...